netmeister.org - miscellaneous
The following is a subset of the talks or presentations I've
given on a variety of topics:
- Things They Don't Teach You In School - given at the Stevens Institute of Technology Computer Science Club on 2016-03-14 [slideshare link]
- Everything is Awful (And You're Not Helping) - given at BSidesSF 2016 on 2016-02-28 [slideshare link] [video]
- Defense at Scale - given at BSidesNYC 2016 on 2016-01-16 [slideshare link]
- Primum non nocere - Ethical Obligations in Internet Operations - given at Velocity NY 2015 on 2015-10-14 [slideshare link]
- Protecting Data in Untrusted Locations - given at RealWorldCrypto 2015 on 2015-01-09 [slideshare link]
- All Is Not Lost (But We Need Your Help) - given at OpenITP's Techno Activism 3rd Monday on 2014-01-20 [video | slideshare link]
- Online Privacy Tools - given at San Francisco's One City, One Book on 2013-09-04 [slideshare link]
- We're Doing It Wrong -- What DevOps Needs To Learn In Order To Scale Up - given at DevOpsDays NYC on 2013-01-17 [video]
- Safely Drinking from the Data Waterhose - An ignite talk about how Etsy extracts security related events and alerts from their logs. Given at DataGotham on 2012-09-13 and repeated at DevOpsDays NYC on 2013-01-17[slideshare link]
- PGP for Smarties - An introduction of PGP, Public Key Cryptography and the Web of Trust, given at Etsy on 2012-09-05 [slideshare link]
- Down with the fancy pants! How people have been optimizing the wrong things and increased complexity. - A discussion of complexity in infrastructure architecture, presented at Velocity 2012 on 2012-06-27 [slideshare link] [accompanying interview]
- There's no place like ::1 - An IPv6 basics session given at Etsy on 2012-06-01 [slideshare link]
- Useless Use Of... This and
That, an updated version of my earlier
talk, given at NYCBug in May
2012 [audio here]
- Of Headless User Accounts and Restricted Shells,
;login, The USENIX Magazine, December 2011
- Headless Host Scanning -- a
talk I gave at Twitter in April 2011 about scanmaster and
sigsh and how to scan hundreds of thousands of
hosts in minutes.
- L3DSR -- Overcoming Layer 2 Limitations of Direct Server Return Load Balancing, NANOG 51, January 2011
- Teaching System Administration in the Cloud, ;login, The USENIX Magazine, October 2010
- Building Better Tools -- a talk on how system engineers and administrators, the people who maintain the infrastructure of the internet and who write a lot of code without (usually) having any training in software engineering practices, can improve their tools. Originally given at NYCBug in June 2009 (audio).
- DST '07 @ Yahoo! -- a presentation on how changes in Daylight Saving Time were handled at Yahoo!; Originally given at BayLISA in May 2007. [Video]
- Useless Use of * -- a presentation originally given at SCALE 2007.
- Pondering Live CDs [slides] -- a paper presented at BSDCan 2006
- NetBSD/Soc -- Google's Summer of Code within NetBSD -- a presentation given at NYCBug.
- pkgsrc - The NetBSD Packages
Collection -- a presentation given at NYCBug.
NetBSD/Desktop - Scalable Workstation Solutions [slides]
-- presented at EuroBSDCon 2004.
[home] | [firstname.lastname@example.org] |